Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Record a day, Day 4: The Flaming Lips 'At war with the mystics'




















So I liked one song in the 90's, "She dont use jelly" but never got the album. Then while I was working at Sears a couple years ago, one of the songs on loop in the overhead was 'The yeah yeah yeah song' and I started thinking about the group. Sa naturally I got 'Transmissions from the satellite heart' as well as every single other album I could find ( I have a tendency to overindulge). I really like 'At war with the mystics'. I like how Wayne Coynes voice isnt real powerful and sounds like it could crack and shatter at any second. Theres a lot of great hooks on this record... its not based on chord progressions but based on little riffs that go 'doo doo- a doo doo- a doo doo'. If you are interested in music that isnt based on a scene or formula's or anything, listen to some Flaming Lips. Perhaps start with this selection.

No comments:

Post a Comment